If you’ve been downtown lately, you’ve probably seen the huge line outside the Apple store. Before 10 a.m., people are lining up to get their hands on the newest release: the iPhone 8. In case you’re interested in the phone but have no idea what all the hype is about, here are the five things you need to know about the newest version of the 10-year-old phone.
- Wireless charging. Say goodbye to cords that are constantly breaking or aren’t long enough to reach you. The new phone only requires you to set it down on a special pad to charge the phone.
- Faster charging. In a rush to charge your phone before going out? The new iPhone has faster charging that will give you more than a few percentage points before leaving the house.
- Truetone display. This new feature adjusts the color of the display based on your environment. Now your bright screen won’t blind you when you pick your phone up in the middle of the night.
- Louder speakers. In case your phone already wasn’t loud enough when it accidentally goes off in the middle of class, the new iPhone is 30 percent louder.
- Better camera sensors. Photos taken in the bars always turning out too dark? The new camera sensors make it easier to shoot in low light. So selfie away during your night at the Lantern or two-nine.
If you’re looking at shelling out a grand for the iPhone X, expect all these features plus face ID, a bigger lock button and no home button.
While this iPhone has some cool new features, you can guarantee that they’ll be releasing a new one soon. So if it’s not time for an update, save your dollars for the next iPhone.
Contributing reporting by McLean Holmes